Scoliosis is the abnormal side-to-side curvature i.e., “S” or “C” shape of the spine. This spinal deformity can be caused due to several factors. Side-to-side curvature of the spine is not just associated with childhood; adults can also develop this condition. If as an adult you have developed it, there are chances that you might have had it in your teenage.
This type falls under two categories:
1. Degenerative Scoliosis:
Adult-onset scoliosis, also known as degenerative scoliosis is a side-to-side curvature of the spine. This adult spinal deformity can occur due to intervertebral and facet joint degeneration. These two (intervertebral and facet joints) are the two components of the spine aiding with movement. Aging is one of the major factors behind this spinal asymmetry and degeneration.
Symptoms of degenerative scoliosis:
Following are its typical signs and symptoms:
- Pain that develops gradually
- Pain that gets worse in the morning
- Dull ache or stiffness in the middle and lower back.
- Pain (shock-like) radiating down the leg from the buttock
2. Adult Idiopathic Scoliosis:
One of the common adult scoliosis is idiopathic scoliosis. This type of spinal deformity might have started in the patient’s teenage and not progressed until adulthood.
What causes scoliosis among adults?
Idiopathic scoliosis doesn’t have any clear cause; the exact cause is still unknown. This type of spinal condition occurs commonly in the lumbar as well as thoracic regions of the spine.
In teenagers, the following are the basic changes in appearance:
- Uneven shoulders i.e., shoulder asymmetry
- Rib hump
- Side to side spinal curvature
Other symptoms of scoliosis in adults include the following:
- The two most common symptoms include lower backache and stiffness
- Shooting pain in the legs (particularly due to a pinched nerve)
Living with Scoliosis:
A severe curvature can result in pain or even immobility. It can cause limitations in performing certain daily life activities as well. These day-to-day activities may also include walking, exercising, or lifting things. Not just physically but also affects the person mentally. Moderate scoliosis can also limit the ability of a person to perform activities like sports.
For scoliosis in adults, exercises can also encourage healthy posture and flexibility. Scoliosis treatment in adults involves managing it with non-operatively methods.
KKT Orthopedic Spine Center:
KKT Orthopedic Spine Center offers a revolutionary non-surgical Canadian Technology treatment. With the primary focus on the diagnosis and treatment of underlying causes of spinal ailments. Book your appointment with KKT orthopedic consultants in Lahore and other metropolitan cities across Pakistan.
Positive Impacts of KKT Treatment on Overall Health:
- KKT focuses on restoring body balance and reactivating the body’s self-healing process.
- This treatment triggers tissue regeneration to maintain the normal disc height.
- KKT Treatment strengthens the ligaments, joints, and muscles supporting the spine.
- It promotes effective brain function and maintains mobility.
- KKT treatment keeps your body in perfect alignment, maintaining the spine’s natural curvature.
- It helps the patients to improve their overall body posture.
For booking an appointment click here or you can call us on the number given below. One of our representatives will guide you to the best of their ability.