You might have heard; bad posture can result in back pain. But do you know how bad posture impacts your back? Prolonged slouching and bad posture can strain your back resulting in pain. On the other hand, a correct posture puts lesser stress on your back. Having a good posture is essential for your health. There are various ways to improve your posture. This article includes some good posture exercises and stretches. But how do I improve my posture? It’s simple, move more and follow the below-mentioned posture pointers.
Benefits of Good Posture:
- Less risk of back pain
- Less stress on ligaments
- Fewer neck induced headaches
- Proper alignment of bones and joints
- Less stress and pain in the neck and shoulders
- Decreases abnormal degeneration of joints
Tips for an improved posture:
Many of our bad daily habits can lead to back pain. Sitting for prolonged periods of time, less movement, excessive mobile usage, or work. You should take frequent breaks, sit and stand properly. Following are some tips for better posture:
- Don’t slouch
- Stay physically active
- Take frequent breaks
- Beware and avoid text neck
- Keep your laptop screen at eye level
- Keep your spine straight when standing up
- While driving, keep your seat at 90 degrees
- Put your heels away, save them for a big event.
- Maintain a proper sleeping posture and use the correct pillow
Good Posture Exercises:
Following are some exercises that can help improve your posture.
- Child Pose
- High Plank
- Side Plank
- Chest Opener
The primary focus of this pose is to stretch your spine, glutes, and hamstrings.
- Sit on your shinbone, keep your knees hip-apart and toes joined.
- Exhale, and lean forward stretching your arms onto the floor/mat.
- Place your forehead onto the floor gently.
- Take deep breaths.
- Keep this pose and relax for about 5 minutes while taking deep breaths.
This allows you to stretch your chest which eventually helps you stand straight.
- Stand straight keeping your feet hip-wide apart.
- Interlace your hands behind your back with the palms pressing together.
- In case your hands can’t reach each other, you can grab a towel.
- Align your neck, head and spine
- Inhale, bringing your chest up, hands towards the floor and away from your back.
- Take a deep breath and hold your it for at least 4-5 breaths.
- Release and relax.
- Take a few breaths and repeat this for at least 10 times.
This pose/exercise helps release pain and stiffness from your body. It also strengthens your core and back.
- Firstly, get on your fours (hands and toes) with your back facing the ceiling.
- Straighten your legs, raise your hips and look down on the floor.
- Keep your chest open and shoulders back.
- Hold this pose for about a minute at a time.
This pose focuses on the alignment of the spine and legs, supporting your back, and improving posture.
- Lie on your one side keeping your legs straight and feet overlapping.
- Place your elbow under the shoulder.
- Breathe out and brace your core, keeping your neck neutral.
- Lift your hips off the ground putting all your weight on the elbows and on your foot.
- Note: please keep your body straight from head to ankles.
- Hold this position for about 20 to 30 seconds.
KKT treatment is a non-surgical treatment involving personalized soundwave frequencies. This treatment is done under the supervision of Pakistan’s expert orthopedic surgeons. KKT treatment is devised for patients based on their detailed medical history. With 8 operational centers across Pakistan and 21 centers worldwide. KKT Orthopedic spine center provides neck and shoulder pain treatment including other neck-related conditions.
In case of an increase in pain, book an appointment with KKT Orthopedic Spine Center. KKT has top orthopedic surgeons and consultants on board in Lahore and all the centers across Pakistan. For further information, you can contact us through the below-given number, and one of our representatives will guide you to the best of their ability.