Sciatica is a condition in which pain radiates along the sciatic nerve path. This pain can be caused due to irritation or compression to your sciatic nerve. Sciatic pain radiates from your lower back down to the leg. Usually, sciatica only affects one leg. Sciatic pain can be a result of a slipped disc or herniated disc, bone spurs, or spinal stenosis. There are several ways for sciatica pain relief, including exercise, ice and heat therapy, and improving your posture.
Ways for Sciatica Pain Relief:
Ice and Heat Therapy:
Using ice and heat results in immediate pain relief. They work perfectly together. For reducing inflammation, use ice pads. The heat pads help increase the circulation in the affected area.
Apply 10-15 minutes of ice pads and heat pads alternatively with a gap of at least 2-3 hours between the two.
Exercise, Stretch it out!
Gentle stretches and low-impact exercises are quite helpful for sciatica pain. These stretches result in strengthened muscles and joints. Hence, can help manage sciatic pain episodes. In most cases, pain can also be relieved. People with sciatica should also keep a proper posture and exercise regularly. Following are some of the exercises that can help in pain relief from sciatica.
- Pelvic Tilt
- Sitting pigeon pose
- Knee to Chest Stretch
- Standing hamstring Stretch
Knee to Chest Exercise:
Involves lower buttock and your upper thigh.
- First and foremost, lie down on the floor.
- Keep your knees bent and feet flat against the floor
- Keep your left foot on the floor. Then bring your right knee towards your chest and hold it there for 30 seconds.
- Repeat the same exercise on the left leg.
Sitting Pigeon Pose:
Involves hips, glutes, and lower back
- Firstly, sit down on the floor with your legs straight out
- Bend your left leg and put the ankle over the right knee
- Lean your upper body forward towards your thigh
- Hold the pose for 20 to 30 seconds
- Repeat the same stretch on the right side.
Standing Hamstring Stretch:
This exercise focuses on relieving sciatica pain by stretching the hamstring.
- Firstly, hold onto something and don’t overstretch.
- Choose a chair or a step of the staircase, and put your right foot on the elevated place.
- Keep your foot flexed so the legs and toes can follow. (Bend your knee slightly if your knees tend to hyperextend)
- Slightly bend your body forwards. Remember not to push too hard, stop where you feel pain.
- Hold the position for 20 to 30 seconds
- Come back to the initial position and gently bring your leg down.
- Repeat the same pose on the other side.
This exercise involves the lower back, hips, and pelvis.
- Firstly, lie straight on the floor on your back.
- Then, Bend your legs and put your arms on your sides.
- Stretch your stomach muscles, and push your back against the floor.
- Slightly, rock your pelvis and hips upwards
- Hold this pose for a few seconds and release.
- Repeat the same exercise.
Physical activity and exercises are essential for muscle, joint, and bone health. These exercises and stretches help in relieving sciatic pain. KKT Pakistan offers a revolutionary non-surgical treatment for the victims of spinal ailments, sciatica, back, and neck problems.
If you feel your pain worsening, book an appointment with KKT’s qualified orthopedic surgeons in Lahore, Karachi, and any other operational centers across Pakistan. KKT also has 20 centers worldwide.
Want to learn more? You can also get in touch with us through our patient care line.